Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Is it Tuesday night or Wednesday morning?

     I've been so tired lately. The weather doesn't help. It's not even a good kind of tired that you feel from working hard, although I am coming off of a five day work week. It's that kind of bored, apathetic kind of tired. I have a few irons in the fire so it's not like I'm just waiting around for some divine force to show me the way, it's just that everything is currently on hold or in the works. Hurry up and wait. It makes me nuts. The thing that makes me the craziest is that I have this screenplay that I'm working on and all I can figure out is what's wrong with it.
     It's not the usual kind of thing where you look at it and think it's drivel and want to start over, I've learned to fix that in the second draft. Just get it on paper and fix it later. No, this comes from following a train of thought and realizing that it's going nowhere or is completely unnecessary. I had a break through earlier this week but, when I went to write it down, it eluded me like trying to remember a dream. I know where it is and I see the approach, I just have to find the words.
     The crazy thing is that I've been working on another project with a partner and since she went off to do the next draft, all I keep thinking about is that project. My timing's all screwed up.
     There was a waitress that worked in this all night diner that I used to like to hang out at. She eventually became a friend. When I first started both of these projects, I'd be in there until the wee hours just writing and drinking coffee. She'd always listen if I had an idea that I needed to talk through. Sometimes she'd make suggestions. They were usually simple things that were just what the doctor ordered, but without them I was lost in the forest trying to find a tree. I tried not to monopolize her time, usually waiting until she had a couple of minutes, because she'd get in trouble with her manager for hanging out with me. She said she didn't care, it was more fun trying to figure out my plot holes than trying to find busy work. The best part was that when I got stuck, really stuck, and had to go home and think about it, she'd just shrug it off and tell me that I'd figure it out. Like there was no doubt in her mind. It was nice to have someone in my corner. She broke up with her boyfriend, moved across town and I haven't seen her since. It seems weird to miss someone you didn't know that well or that long but I miss her on nights like this.
     So when it's a little after 1:00 a.m., what do you call it? Tuesday night or Wednesday morning? I've known people who mark time by when they wake up and go to bed. That's a day to them. Some people mark time by sunrise and sunset. Personally, I mark time by the clock. Everything starts fresh at 12:00 a.m. I work nights and have been a night owl most of my life. There have been times due to work or whatever that I've had to keep Jack Bauer hours. If I marked time by my sleep pattern, my week might get a little shorter.
     It gets confusing when I try to talk to people who mark time differently. I'll be asking them about what they're doing later today and they'll either look at me funny or tell me what they did yesterday afternoon. I'll end up explaining the question for five minutes just to have them tell me they don't have any plans. Most of the time I'm just making conversation. Sometimes I might be trying to make plans, but that's kind of rare any more.
     Most people don't do the things I do or when I do them. That's fine. I used to try to be accommodating but too many times I found myself sitting around and waiting for phone calls to confirm or somebody'd cancel or want to reschedule. I have things to do. It's not that I don't want to hang out with you, I just don't have all day to try to figure out when. It sucks sometimes, but it's often best to just do my own thing. I'm done dragging people to things that they've never heard of. No matter how good the intention, if you're not having a good time, you're just wasting your time.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment