Wednesday, January 1, 2014

First post about the first movie on the first day of the new year


     The first movie I've seen in the new year? New Year's Evil! I don't know why I've always avoided this 1980 slasher film but for some reason I decided today would be the day. I'll grant you that the poster is kind of lame and generic but in '80 the slasher genre was in it's golden age and all you needed to put butts in the seat was a holiday and the promise of blood. Cannon delivered the goods on that.
     I'm not going to say that you should track this movie down right now and follow it online but I can say that if, like me, you've ridden the fence for a while, it's time to get down from the fence, use the wood to make a bridge and get over it. If you were able to appreciate Silent Night, Deadly Night, you should be able to sit through this one. It's blood soaked melodrama, just the way you like it. There's even one genuinely creepy scene. Of course, they followed it up with the lamest timed jump scare, but try not to hold that against it.
     The thing I can give it credit for the most is that right when it looked like the ending was going to fall apart and the movie was just going to fall flat, it changed direction and started wrapping things up. so, if you feel like giving up on it, just stick around a little longer. 
     It's currently playing on Netflix. I was pretty surprised to find it there. They seem to have a lot of the hard to find slashers. I've become something of a Netflix addict but I'm working on it. Admitting it's the first step, right? After that it's just one day at a time. I've seen some really good stuff and some pretty bad stuff. It gets hard to filter out the bad when you're on sensory overload. 
     I'm trying to keep this on the positive side so I guess I'll just wrap up my first post of the new year by saying life is too short to watch bad movies so choose carefully. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment to see the doctor. Who is Tom Baker.  

No comments:

Post a Comment