Saturday, January 7, 2012

Double Wedding

     I can appreciate the romantic screwball comedies of the 1930's. Also, as far as I'm concerned, William Powell is The Man. I'll even go as far as to say that a William Powell film is like sex, when it's good it's great and when it's bad, it's still a William Powell film. That's the best way I can sum up my feelings on Double Wedding.
     It was originally written for the stage as Nagy szerelem by Ferenc Molnar, but something must have gotten lost in the translation because about half way through the movie things just start happening out of convenience instead of necessity. I haven't read it but it's my guess that the play has a kind of The Importance Of Being Earnest vibe to it where the movie has a why are these two suddenly together? kind of vibe.
     The cast is great with Powell playing a Bohemian vagrant and Myrna Loy as an uptight business woman who controls the lives of her sister, Florence Rice, and her spineless fiancee, John Beal. It's directed by studio favorite Richard Thorpe, who directed 184 films in his career including a handful of Tarzan films and Elvis Presley's best movie, Jailhouse Rock. It's just the script that feels like the square peg being driven through the round hole that fouls everything up. Well, like I said earlier, it's still a William Powell film.

No comments:

Post a Comment