Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Young Adult

     Self delusion seems to be the theme of this movie. Mavis (Charlize Theron) is a ghost writer of a young adult book series. She seems well suited for the gig because despite being in her thirties, Mavis still acts like a high school kid, rash and irresponsible.
    Upon hearing that her old flame is a new father, she decides it's up to her to return to her home town and rescue him from a fate worse than death. With her lap dog in tow, she hits the road on a mission to break up a marriage and rekindle a spark.
     Diablo Cody wrote the screenplay and was also one of the producers. While I'm still not a fan of hers, I do have to admit that this was not the six reel headache I was expecting. In fact, after Jennifer's Body, I honestly can't tell you how I wound up seeing this movie.
     I thought Juno was entertaining but that was all. The rest of the world went ape shit and seemed to think it was the greatest thing to happen to American cinema since the invention of film. I guess they saw a different version of the movie than I did. The "unrated directors cut" of Jennifer's Body just made me nostalgic for all of the grass that I could have watched grow.
     If you're in the mood for something off the beaten path then sure, give Young Adult a chance. Charlize Theron is everything and more that you would expect. While it may not be the best film you've ever seen, you will have to admit that you haven't seen something like this in a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment