Friday, August 3, 2012

Notes Of A Drunk Whisperer

     I work at an Irish pub as a drunk whisperer. Dealing with drunk people just seems to be a skill I've acquired in this crazy little thing called life. Some of my co-workers seem to vent their frustrations or maybe they're just looking for a fight. They're young and haven't gotten it out of their system yet. Personally, I just don't feel the need to yell and manhandle some dumb soul who's biggest sin is not knowing their limitations.
     Most of the time I can handle an individual with a stern look. They know they're fucking up, they just need me to come in and tell them. It's the whole negative attention thing. They get loud and belligerent until you notice them and then they get passive and head for the door.
     There are the exceptions that have no idea where they are or why you're making them leave. Shoulders are natures steering wheel for the human. You can hold them up, keep them balanced and make sure they head for the door. No muss, no fuss. Sometimes when they're out on the sidewalk, they'll want to play 20 questions, "what did I do?" "why am I out here?" "how come I can't come back in?" At this point it becomes a little like breaking news to a trauma patient. "you're drunk, you need to go home, drink some water and go to bed" will usually work. If they're aggressively ignorant and keep trying to re-enter the bar, you just have to tell them that they're not getting back in. Don't growl it like a threat but just state it as fact. Threats get the ego riled up and now they can't leave without making a big show. Facts define the options.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment