Friday, July 7, 2017

July Newsletter

     Hello again! Here we are in July, about to blow a lot of stuff up in celebration of our Independence… It’s too frustrating to go into our current state of affairs so I’ll just let that hang there and you can fill in your own opinions. It’s like the pick-a-path adventure books from your youth, you’re welcome for that little trip down memory lane.
     In May I went on The Great Southern Tour and then I followed it up last month with a tour of The Western Expansion. It wasn’t cinematically related this time, although I did see a few movies along the way (more on those later). It started off, innocently enough, with three days in Denver, Colorado that turned into one of the outer circles of Hell and then ended in California, where the sun always shines…most of the time…in the afternoon.

     I’d worked all day, came home and took a 90 minute nap, showered and dressed and was on the road by midnight after stopping off at QT for gas and coffee (a traveling essential). I made it to the gig in Denver by Halftime of the first game (morning traffic sucks no matter where you are). KCRW was playing Sac City’s Capital Punishers in the second game. We lost 213 to 109. We would come back the next day and play an opponent yet to be named. In the meantime, I still had five more derby games to sit through without a horse in either race. You always hope that you’ll see that one exciting game, but this was day one and there are very few exciting games on the first day. The teams are just trying to make it to the next bracket and they’re still feeling each other out.
     A little before 10 p.m., I went in search of something that didn’t come out of the concession stand. I was surprised that Denver rolled up its sidewalks so early on a Friday night. I ended up at a Village Inn. I hadn’t been to one in a long time and it was different than the one in KC, more like a Perkins. By the time I got checked into the hotel, wrote and posted my story about the first day, it was midnight. Jack Bauer may save the world in 24 hours but I cover more ground than he does.
     Up at 6, eating at 7, derby by 8. I want to take a quick second to say a few things about Quality Inn. I went with them because they were the cheapest and the closest and they had free internet. Having never been there before, this was the only criteria I had for a hotel. I’ve covered tournaments before and knew that I just needed a place to write, sleep and shower. I wouldn’t even have time to turn on the tv because I’m not going to be there that long. When they advertised “free breakfast”, I was expecting some bagels, little boxes of cereal and unnaturally yellow toaster waffles with a pot of coffee, a carafe of juice and maybe some milk for the cereal. Quality Inn has bagels, toast, yogurt, cheese omelets and make-your-own waffles along with pots of fresh coffee and bottles of juice. I was surprised to find real food for what I was paying. I was thankful there was a Denny’s across the street, just figured I’d take a look at the spread before I headed over there. It was good as well as filling.
     Boulder County and Treasure Valley started the day. KCRW was playing the third game this time. We played Wasatch’s Midnight Terror and they became our nightmare with a final score of 235 to 104. We won the first four games of the season and now we’re choking on the road. Sunday morning we get to fight it out for 10th place. Four games later and I’m at Chipotle trying to finish my tacos before they lock the doors. Back to the hotel to lather, rinse and repeat as necessary.
     Sunday morning saw KCRW going against Sacred City’s Sacrificers for 10th place. The first half went well, we were only trailing by 10 points at Halftime and that can be made up in one Jam. Somewhere in the Second Period, it just all fell apart and we came in at number 11. There’s always next season, right?
     I watched the rest of the games and the MVP ceremonies. Now it was time to get ready for phase two, California. I found a hotel close to the airport so I could just get ready and be there. You always hear about “those seedy places by the airport that charge by the hour” but I’ll be damned if I could find one. I just needed a bed for seven hours. If it happened to be hart shaped or filled with water with a mirror over it, I didn’t care. I just needed a mattress and internet for one last story. I would stretch out on a pink bear skin rug (where do they find pink bears?), post the final results and put the tournament behind me. I ended up finding a Motel 6. Mattress-check, internet-check.  I got everything streamlined and airport friendly and went to bed. When I woke up, it felt like Denver would not let me go.

     I woke up 15 minutes before the alarm. The party next door must have wrapped up an hour before. Did the morning routine. When I checked out, there was a delay because they couldn’t tell if I paid or not. Apparently, when you check out at 1 a.m. they get confused. It took two people behind the counter ten minutes and my receipt to show that yes, I did pay when I checked in.
     Stopped at Denny’s next door (there’s always a Denny’s next door). First thing you learn, eat when you can because you never know when you’ll get another chance. It’s a long way to California. The food showed up promptly but the waitress seemed to take a break after dropping off the check. I was contemplating a dine-and-dash on the basis that it was more of a dine-and-get-forgotten when she reappeared. I paid and left.
     There are signs for satellite parking but they don’t really tell you where to go. I followed a sign that said Cell Phone Parking and it led me to a waiting area. I asked the guy working the convenience store about it and he had no idea what satellite parking was. I had to break everything down to its basest form to communicate.
Me: I need long term parking. Is that what this lot is?
Him: Sure, you can park here. There’s a lounge across the parking lot where you can wait. They have all of the flight information there.
Me: Is there a shuttle that comes by to pick me up?
Him: A shuttle?
Me: A bus or some kind of transportation?
Him: No, the buses don’t come out here.
Me: How do I get to the airport?
Him: You’ll turn right, down that street, it’ll take you straight to it.
Me: I need some kind of long term parking lot where I won’t get charged twenty-five bucks a day. Is there anything like that around here? I followed the signs off the highway and they lead here.
Him: There might be something on the other side of the highway, but not around here.
Me: Okay, that’s all I needed to know.
     I try the other side of the highway and eventually find it. I park and wait. The buses do run at 2 a.m., right? One eventually shows up and drops me at the terminal. Now, the games are ready to begin.
     I already have my ticket so I don’t need ticketing. There’s a sign that points to Security Check In. Well, the sign wasn’t entirely wrong, it just didn’t mention that the check in point it refers to was up an escalator and closed so that I had to go to the opposite end of the terminal to find the open one.
     After separating my possessions into three separate tubs, I get dressed and proceed to the train that takes you to the departure terminal. I’m always reminded of Escape From New York where the subway goes from Denver to Atlanta. That was 1997, why hasn’t that happened twenty years later? As I’m waiting for the tram, this guy walks up and is completely lost as to which terminal to go to. I show him how to read his boarding pass and it turns out we’re going to the same terminal. Apparently I am the seasoned traveler now because no sooner do I get that guy straightened out when a woman asks me where she has to go. I don’t even need a boarding pass for this one. I see that the tram is due to arrive in 30 seconds.
Me: Where are you headed?
Her: Salt Lake City.
25 seconds
Me: What airline are you taking?
Her: Delta
20 seconds
Me: What time do you leave?
Her: 6:15
14 seconds
I scan the board under S
Me: Salt Lake City, Delta, flight number 1645 out of gate 74 in Terminal C.
The doors open. “Please watch your step as you enter the tram.”
Me: (to both of them) That’s us.
We board. There’s a map of the train route on the wall.
Me: (to him) We’ll get off at the next stop. (Pointing to the last stop. To her) You’ll get off two stops later.
They both look at the map and thank me.
     As we leave the tram, there are two ways back up to the terminal level. To the left, the up escalator is out of service. Both are working on the right. I see him start for the left side.
Me: You’re not going to get too far that way. We have to go over here.
     We take the escalator up and I get him pointed towards his gate. Detroit is still a long way off, I hope he finds it. My gate is in the opposite direction, all the way at the end. Surprisingly enough, my flight was on time.
     I made it to Dallas and then on to Santa Barbara without difficulty. It was great to see the folks again. My step-dad was showing off his new electric car that does everything but make the morning coffee. It’s surprisingly fast and has an auto-pilot feature. I couldn’t help but think how handy something like that would have been last month. I’ll bet I could have turned 19 hours into 17 and a half. No stopping for gas and then take a quick nap on an open stretch of American highway… maybe for the 45th anniversary.
     Meanwhile, back in California, I’m surrounded by mountains and an ocean with beaches and everything that the Midwest does not have to offer. I had been cooped up for far too long and desperately needed a change of scenery. First The Rockies and now California, I could get used to this.
     I was out there for ten days and managed to see most of Santa Barbara. I even made it to San Francisco for a couple of days to see my sister. There’s too much to see in SF to try to cram it all in to one day. I need to get up there more often.
     Finally, it came time to leave. My layover was in Phoenix this time. Everything was expensive there. I ended up getting a $2 candy bar to hold me over to Denver. Made it back to Denver. The airport feels a lot different at 4 in the afternoon than it does at 4 in the morning. I retraced my steps and caught the shuttle out to my car. Planes, trains and automobiles all in one day and it wasn’t even Thanksgiving.
     The drive to KC was made interesting by the lightning show that was going on just outside of Manhattan until I reached Topeka when the rain started to come down, and down, and down. Here’s a quick travel tip for those of you who may find yourselves driving in the rain, even though your hazard lights may be on, do not play Pac-Man with the dotted lines on the road. If you feel the need to drive 30 miles an hour with your hazard lights on, pull over to the side of the road and wait for the rain to pass. Those of us born before 1995 learned to drive in foul weather and you’re just getting in the way.
     I made it home before 3 a.m. and just went to bed. Woke up later that day, unpacked and did laundry and made it to Memorial Hall for the game against Nashville. KCRW managed to keep their home record intact and beat The Music City All Stars 211 to 101. It was Xcelerators final game. Our ranking had taken a beating in Denver and if we wanted to maintain what we currently had, we had to beat Nashville with a 2-1 ratio in points. The last 13 points of the game were scored by X. That’s how you retire.
     That was the last game of the season so chances are we won’t go on to any of the tournaments (unless everybody else suddenly starts to suck and we can get over this rectal-cranial disorder that seems to have infected the majority of the team). With so many people retiring, next season is going to be one hell of a building year.
     With my vacation time behind me, I’ve returned to work. My home store is still being remodeled so I’ve been moved to another store. I think I like it more than I like my home store. The customers aren’t as loud and obnoxious.  When we re-open, we’re expected to be even busier…oh joy.
     Did anybody else happen to make it out to see Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert-the musical? It played at The Unicorn. I’m usually opposed to this trend of taking popular films and turning them into Broadway musicals. There is a serious lack of creativity going on in the entertainment industry. It feels like the world is afraid or uninterested in moving forward. Mainstream Hollywood is re-making or coming out with a sequel to anything it can get its hands on, the adult industry just keeps cranking out parodies of tv shows and film franchises, television seems to only be interested in bringing back shows that went off the air for a reason the first time, and Broadway seems to just close its eyes and point to the screen of their Netflix que to see what next season will be and even books are not safe. Instead of just letting a series die with an author, somebody else starts writing them. Why have we stagnated as a society?
     The topic of conversation, before I jumped up on my soap box, was Priscilla. I figured that since it was already mostly a musical, how bad could it be? I wasn’t sure how they were going to get a Winnebago on The Unicorn stage, so that was kind of intriguing. Plus, my friend Laura Jacobs was in it as Mitzi’s wife, so I went and ended up enjoying it. Of course, just like Terrance Stamp, Ron Megee stole the show as Bernadette. I hope you had a chance to make it out.
     Looks like we’ve made it to the what-have-you-been-up-to-lately section of this thing. Here are a few recommendations and warnings for your entertainment needs-
When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops? by George Carlin- Filled partly with new observations on the world around him and partly with some classic material, this book makes for some fun, light reading if you’re a fan.
Death In The Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway- This is a really interesting book if you’ve ever followed a sport like a groupie. This particular book happens to be about bull fighting but I think that even if you’re not into bull fighting you can still appreciate the approach he takes with all of the insight. Definitely worth your time.
Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz- A former reporter has given up hope and all interest in life since his family was killed in a plane crash a year ago. There was no way anybody could have survived…but somebody has come forward claiming they did. Worth your time to follow this mystery.
Mr. Majestyk by Elmore Leonard- A melon farmer is just trying to get his crop in on time to get to the market. Unfortunately, he also has a labor dispute and a mob hitman to deal with. If you want to know more, you’ll have to read the book.
The Diaries of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain- Originally written as two separate serialized magazine pieces, this volume puts the two together in chronological order. Some of the views of the first man on the first woman are pretty hilarious. You should definitely track this down.
     Like I mentioned earlier, I did see a lot of movies this month. Most of them were good, others, not as much. There were some pleasant surprises as well as a few let downs. As we head into the Summer Movie Season, it’s only going to get worse.
47 Meters Down- I have waited 42 years for somebody to make a decent shark movie. Finally, somebody wised up that it’s not just the situation of peril or the number of sharks but how realistic your shark looks! Steven Spielberg scared the bejeezus out of a generation with a mechanical shark that only worked some of the time. Because, it looked authentic. I’ve seen most of the killer shark movies that have come along through the years and they have all sucked for the most part. Some less than others but none that you want to revisit, except, maybe Jaws 2 when you’re in the mood to lower your standards and have a little guilty pleasure. 47 Meters Down has realistic looking sharks that behave in a realistic manner. The drama comes from the fact that two sisters are at the bottom of the ocean in shark infested water. What do you do to survive?  The sharks have not been whipped into a frenzy by ocean drilling or meteorological circumstances. They are not genetically bred to be overly aggressive. They’re just hungry, and if you happen to be outside the cage, you could be something tasty. The director does a great job of incorporating classic elements of the haunted house genre with darkness and the fear of the unknown as well as camera angles. If you’re looking for a good thrill ride, go see this movie.
About Cherry- I found this on Netflix. It’s basically Devon –Stripped for the internet age. It’s okay, but very cliché ridden. The high point of the film is Heather Graham. If you’re bored, it’s not a total waste of time, but there are better movies out there.
After Midnight- I’ll admit to being intrigued by Fred Olen Ray trying to revisit the “undercover stripper” genre, which has been dormant for a while now. I’ll say this for it, he’s changed the plot device of undercover cop looking for a serial killer to a journalist looking for her sisters killer, that was a little refreshing. I can also say that I’ve never seen anything quite like this before. He managed to get Richard Grieco and Tawny Kitaen for supporting roles. I have a hard time recommending it with a straight face. Personally, nothing will ever top Stripped To Kill.
The Bad Batch- When I saw the preview for this I was intrigued because it didn’t give away too much of the story line and it had an interesting cast of supporting players-Jason Mamoa, Keanu Reeves and Giovani Ribisi. I’m not going to give away the story line because, well, there’s not that much to give away. It will hold your attention and it’s very cinematic but you walk out of the theater kind of wondering, what exactly did I just see? It’s reminiscent of some of your favorite dystopian future sci-fi films, so it is fun, just not a lot of substance.
Beatriz At Dinner- I’m always amazed when make-up artists can turn Selma Hayek into a plain looking wallflower. She plays a holistic healer who is making a house call when her car breaks down. She is now stranded with her clients and his business associates are coming over for dinner. John Lithgow is great, as always, in the role of a billionaire developer who is the root of all things evil in Beatriz’s world. I thought it was just okay, which was a little disappointing because I was looking forward to this. One of my main problems with it are the characters. If you can identify with one of these two factions, then you’re sure to enjoy the movie. I found both sides a little grating.
The Big Short- Set back in the early 2000’s when Fanny and Freddy were playing fast and loose with the housing economy, a small group of people figured out the pattern and found a way to make millions while everybody else was going homeless. It’s a pretty interesting film that is definitely worth your time and should probably be viewed as a double feature with 99 Homes.
The Book Of Henry- Here’s another movie that started off really well, it turned into something that the preview didn’t show you and then just runs out of steam in an anti-climax. Wait for home video on this one.
Churchill- When I saw that Brian Cox was playing Winston Churchill, I was interested from the start. Cox does a great job and the movie holds your attention, it’s just not as great as you were hoping it was going to be. I saw it on June 6th, so it was holiday appropriate, but if you wait for home video you won’t be missing much.
Escape From New York- This is always a fun one. It recently played at The Alamo Drafthouse on 35mm so, of course, I had to go. If you’ve never seen it on the big screen, keep a vigilant eye on your local theaters, even if it’s just digital video, it’s always better on the big screen.
Maggie- This one came in under the radar when it was released theatrically. I don’t know about where you live, but it played in one theater for a week in KC. That’s kind of amazing considering it stars Arnold Schwarzenegger. Abigail Breslin plays the title character and Schwarzenegger is her father. In the not too distant future (next month or next year) there is an epidemic that ravages the land. It’s similar to Rage (27 Days Later) but with less aggression. Maggie is one of the infected and her father just wants to make her final days comfortable on the family farm instead of in a CDC holding facility. It’s pleasantly surprising. Check it out, I found it on Hulu.
Meagan Leavey- The preview leads you to believe that this will be The Hurt Locker meets Ol’ Yeller. I kind of wish it was that movie. It ends up being a Milos Foreman-esque biopic in full Hollywood regalia. It comes in at just under two hours and I wish they had either gone for twenty more minutes or focused more on one aspect of the story instead of lingering on different parts that were interesting but only propelled the character and not the story. Wait for home video.
Norman: The Moderate Rise And Tragic Fall Of A New York Fixer- Richard Gere does a quality job as the title character who is just trying to make it in the world and be somebody. He gets caught up in a political web when he does a favor for a foreign diplomat who’s on his way to becoming a prime minister. It’s good but a little predictable. Wait for home video.
Paris Can Wait- Diane Lane stars in this road movie that starts off with the wife of a movie producer getting a ride with one of his associates from Cannes to Paris. What should take 6 to 8 hours takes two days. It’s enjoyable. On a related note, for those of you in the KC area who don’t have tickets to the Garbage/Blondie show on the 18th, The Alamo Drafthouse is playing Streets Of Fire on the big screen. Even if you decide to wait on Paris, you won’t want to miss that.
Wonder Woman- Well, it finally happened, DC put out a good movie and it’s making money. I’ve been south of impressed with their franchise so far, but this makes me want to see The Justice League movie. Something tells me I’ll probably stop after that, but I’m keeping an open mind. The character of Wonder Woman has been rebooted since I was reading her as a kid, but this movie did a good job of introducing me to the character and how she is now. You should go see it if you haven’t already.
Finally, for the t.v. watchers, I have a couple of suggestions you might not have seen yet-
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 4-They are finally doing what I always hoped they would with this show, introducing new characters for the cinematic universe. Ghost Rider plays a big role in this season. I’m guessing that, like the rest of my childhood, the character has been rebooted since it’s no longer Johnny Blaze, but Robbie Reyes. All things considered, it was a good season and if you’ve liked it so far, keep watching.
Stranger Things- I’m a little late to the party on this one but I now see what all the huh-bub was about. It’s a total throw-back to the thrilling days of yesteryear when it was just you and your friends and your bikes. Of course, there are monsters and evil scientists and experiments that get loose, so it almost feels like early Dean Koontz, but with a Creepshow element. Check it out if you haven’t already, it’s only 8 episodes long.

     Looks like we’ve reached the end. Be sure to tune in next month as I go back to business as usual at work and hermit myself away to work on The Movie… See you then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment